THE EVER POPULAR SAND DRIVING EXPERIENCE
17 NOVEMBER 2018
THRILLS, ADRENALIN AND LOADS OF FUN IN THE DUNES
If you enjoy sand driving here is an opportunity to join us once again on a day outing to the ever-popular Atlantis Dunes. The guide will share many hints, tips and information on sand driving before and during the time spent in the dunes, ensuring maximum pleasure with minimum risk to participants and vehicles.
Driving the dunes is really a great experience and lots of fun. It is important however that the basic 4x4 sand driving rules are adhered to at all times, namely; As slow as possible as fast as necessary, don’t overdo it rather do it over, tyre pressure, momentum, always drive at the correct angle over a dune, following distance and wait for the vehicle in front of you to clear an obstacle, to mention but a few. These are to ensure the safety of all participants. As the day progresses and your confidence and sand-driving skills improve, the seemingly impossible dunes will become a lot easier to drive. We will be visiting the well-known “Wall of Death”, “Horse Shoe”, The “Figure 8” and “Langduin”, ensuring many highlights. These obstacles can damage vehicles if some of the golden rules of sand driving are not adhered to at all times or if Mr Ego gets the better of you. During all of our previous visits to these obstacles no vehicles incurred any serious damage, only the ego of a driver or two has been dented in the past.
When driving on the West Coast Road (R27), passing the Atlantis dunes, one does not realize just how huge the dune area really is or the size of some of the dunes. The Atlantis Dunes are a true forgotten gem of the West Coast area. On entering the dune area, you are suddenly surrounded by the pure white sand dunes with Table Mountain in the background. This is truly a worthwhile sight to be appreciated. On venturing further into the dunes, where you are totally surrounded by dunes, you will experience a feeling of being in a desert far away from civilization.
All information supplied in the agenda is given in good faith by Cederberg 4x4 and compiled from the latest information available at the time. The activity times, as indicated on the agenda, are subject to change without notice and at the sole discretion of the guide.
Vehicles : Only vehicles WITH low range capabilities can be accommodated.
Grading : Trail grading is a 2 - 3.
Nearest Town : Melkbosstrand.
Guide : Johan Roach.
PLACE: PARKING AREA AT ATLANTIS DUNES (Main Gate).
GPS Coordinates – S 33.59892° E 18.45178°
DATE : SATURDAY, 17 NOVEMBER 2018.
TIME : 08h00 SHARP. Please respect your fellow participants and be on time.
SATURDAY, 17 NOVEMBER 2018
08h00 - Rendezvous at the PARKING AREA AT ATLANTIS.
- Deflate tyres and setup of radios.
08h15 - Briefing on dune driving.
14h00 - Complete the dune drive and enjoy a late communal picnic lunch. Gas braai’s are welcome.
Remember to bring your sun umbrella, gazebo or awning. No shade in the dunes.
- Depart from Atlantis Dunes as a group or at your own time.
FUEL STOPS EN-ROUTE
Ensure that your vehicle is refuelled PRIOR to reaching the rendezvous.
NO ablution facilities. Everyone will be required to use the “cat-method”. Bring own toilet paper.
Everyone must be totally self-sufficient for a picnic lunch or gas braai to be enjoyed in the dunes.
• Please remember that no alcohol may be consumed by either the driver or passenger(s) whilst driving at any time. Please respect your guides and your fellow participants and save the alcoholic beverages until we stop.
• NO water available. Always advisable to bring your own drinking water on excursions.
• NO FIRES ALLOWED.
• Only gas braais permitted.
• Remember cooking/eating utensils, table and chairs
• Bring Black bags (what we take in, we take out).
• The days could be warm with cold winds blowing. Pack clothing accordingly.
• Remember to bring your sun block and hat.
• Remember to bring your cameras, video cameras, spare batteries and extra film.
• Should you have a sand board, please bring it along for young and old to enjoy.
• Always advisable to wear comfortable closed shoes or boots.
• NO shade in the dunes. It is advisable to always have an umbrella or awning available.
• Use tie-down straps to secure all items packed in the vehicle as loose items can become missiles.
• All vehicles must be in sound mechanical condition.
• Always have your spare keys with you.
• Recovery points fitted to the front and rear on your vehicle are a prerequisite.
• Your own Kinetic/recovery strap and 2 x shackles will be advisable.
• A tyre pump and tyre pressure gauge will be required to deflate/inflate tyres. Pack where accessible.
• Carry a fire extinguisher which is easily accessible in the event of an emergency.
• Always carry your personal medical kit. Pack where accessible.
• All other recovery equipment will be supplied.
29 MHz TWO WAY RADIOS
Communication between participating vehicles on any 4x4 excursion is important for many reasons. It ensures the safety of drivers, passengers and vehicles while on a 4x4 trail, where drivers can communicate with one another as regards to their location and situation, not to mention the interesting information that is shared with participants. The fun part is the many interesting stories that are shared among participants.
We suggest all 4x4 vehicles that don’t have a 29MHz two-way radio, HIRE one from us at a nominal fee of R200-00 for this excursion.
Should you be hiring a 29MHz radio, please ensure that your lighter socket is working. If you intend running more than one item from the lighter socket, ensure to have a double adapter handy as well as a spare fuse for this excursion.
NB: If your vehicle is fitted with a 29MHz radio, please make sure that channels 1, 14 and 23 are open and working for this excursion.
Should you wish to make a once-off investment and purchase a 29MHz radio, we have negotiated a special deal for all Cederberg 4x4 participants. For more information, contact Marina on 021 910 1363.
Use the table below to calculate your personal cost for the day
Atlantis Permit R186-00pv 186-00
Cederberg 4x4 facilitating, coordinating & guide fees R390-00pv 390-00
Radio hire should your vehicle not be fitted with a 29MHz two-way radio R200-00
BOOKING AND PAYMENT CONDITIONS
Should you wish to join us on this excursion, please contact Marina immediately on 021 910 1363 to obtain the booking form for this excursion.
• We can only accommodate a maximum of 12 vehicles on this excursion.
• All Cederberg 4x4 excursions are subject to a minimum of 8 x vehicles.
• All bookings are made on a first-come-first-serve basis.
• To secure your place, contact Marina for a Cederberg 4x4 booking form.
• Your completed and signed booking form will confirm your intent to partake in this excursion.
• Full payment is required to confirm your booking to partake in this excursion.
• Your completed and signed booking form binds you to all conditions on page one and two of the booking form.
• Should you wish to cancel or withdraw after booking for this trip, you will be required to find other people to take your place before any refunds will be considered.
PLEASE NOTE: NO PETS ARE ALLOWED.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT MARINA on 021 910 1363
.. Top of Page