DIE ARK 4x4 TRAIL
27 - 28 OCTOBER 2018
A NEW 4X4 TRAIL NEVER DRIVEN BY CEDERBERG 4X4
Die Ark 4x4 trail is tucked away between the wheat fields of the Swartland, on the active farm Hooggeleë belonging to Teubes & Bregda Mostert, close to Koringberg which has a population of approximately 5000 people. The farm has changed its name from Hooggeleë to Die Ark in recent years and still carries that name today. Koringberg was established in the early 1900’s due to the fast-growing wheat industry of the Swartland and businesses like blacksmiths and wagon makers were some of the first to establish themselves in Koringberg. The Swartland is also known for its renosterbos that can still be seen on the mountain and neighbouring places like Darling and Tygerberg Hill Nature Reserve. When looking down from the mountain the many termite circles can be seen in the surrounding fields. These termite circles were also the reason why Tygerberg Hills in Cape Town was first named Leopard Hills due to all the spots on the hills before being changed to Tygerberg Hills. Depending on rainfall in the area good annual and perennial flowers can be seen in spring. Die Ark also offers camping facilities, at Wayne’s Camp on the farm, with all basic facilities required and activities like swimming, hiking, fishing, mountain biking, canoeing and bird watching.
The 4x4 trail is a circular route and was initially built to give access for the Vodacom and numerous other radio towers to be erected on the mountain. There are two sets of radio towers on the mountain, each with a beautiful view over the surrounding wheat fields and termite circles below. The 4x4 trail to the summit is fairly easy and suitable for all levels of experience. En-route there are several places where you will negotiate obstacles requiring your full attention. Reaching the top of Koringberg there is a lapa and toilet that can be used. The descent is a lot more challenging than the ascent. At the start of the descent there are deep ruts that need to be negotiated, followed by nine switchbacks with very sharp three-point (hairpin) turns while descending at a fast rate and encountering steep gradients for long sections at a time. It is advisable to stop and enjoy the breath-taking views while descending so that your full attention is on your driving during the descent. This is a 4x4 trail worth visiting more than once.
The campsite offers 4 x showers and 4 x toilets with a solar geyser with electrical back up.
Stal room 1 – sleeps 9 people – single beds- make use of camp ablution.
Stal room 2 – sleeps 10 people – single beds - make use of camp ablution.
Stal room 3 – sleeps 3 people – single beds - make use of camp ablution.
Room 1 & 2 – sleeps 3 people each – single beds and has one toilet - make use of camp ablution.
Own bedding is required for all the rooms.
All information supplied in the agenda is given in good faith by Cederberg 4x4 and compiled from the latest information available at the time. The activity times, as indicated on the agenda, are subject to change without notice and at the sole discretion of the guide.
Vehicles : Only vehicles with low range capabilities can be accommodated.
Trailers : Trailers & Off road Caravans CAN be accommodated on this excursion.
Grading : Trail grading is between a 1 and 4.
Nearest Town : Koringberg.
Guide : Aubrey Penderis.
PLACE : DESERT ROSE FARM STALL on the N7 at the turn-off to Koringberg between
Mooreesburg and Piketberg.
DATE : SATURDAY 27 OCTOBER 2018.
TIME : 09h00 SHARP. PLEASE RESPECT YOUR FELLOW PARTICIPANTS AND BE ON TIME.
SATURDAY, 27 OCTOBER 2018
09h00 - Rendezvous at Desert Rose Farm Stall on the N7 at the turn off to Koringberg.
- Briefing on convoy driving and depart for Die Ark.
- Arrive at Die Ark and set camp.
10h00 - Briefing on day’s activities and hints and tips on 4x4 driving will be shared.
10h30 - Depart on the circular route of Die Ark 4x4 trail.
13h30 - Enjoy a light picnic lunch at the lapa on top of the mountain.
15h00 - Return to camp and make use of the other activities on the farm.
19h00 - Communal evening braai where the Cederberg 4x4 formatilies will take place.
SUNDAY, 28 OCTOBER 2018
- Breakfast at the camp.
09h00 - Briefing on day’s activities.
09h30 - Those who want to can drive to the view point and enjoy lunch at the lapa.
- Spend rest of day at leisure or partake in some of the other activities available.
- Depart for home at your own time.
FUEL STOPS EN-ROUTE
Ensure that your vehicle is refuelled at the rendezvous point PRIOR to the start of the briefing. Sufficient fuel stops will be made en-route eliminating the necessity to carry additional fuel.
Campsite has 4 x showers and 4 x toilets.
Solar geyser with electrical back up.
Longdrop at lapa on top of mountain.
Everyone must be totally self-sufficient for the duration of this weekend.
• Please remember that no alcohol may be consumed by either the driver or passenger(s) whilst driving at any time. Please respect your guides and your fellow participants and save the alcoholic beverages until we return to the camp each day.
• WATER - Water is available at the campsite.
• WATER - Always advisable to bring own drinking water on excursions.
• WOOD – NO Wood available. Please bring at least 2 x bags per vehicle.
• ICE – Ensure you have sufficient ice.
• Electricity power points are available in the camp. Extension leads required.
• A communal braai area will be determined on arrival at the campsite.
• Only one fire permitted for the group.
• Portable braai’s can be used in the communal braai area.
• Bring braai grid, braai stand, tongs and other cooking/eating utensils.
• Bring Black bags (what we take in, we take out).
• The days could be warm and the nights cooler. Pack clothing accordingly.
• Remember to bring your sun block and hat.
• Remember to bring your cameras, video cameras and spare batteries and extra memory cards.
• Bring along your bathing costume and extra towels.
• Always consider the possibility of rain. Pack clothing accordingly.
• Always advisable to wear comfortable closed shoes or boots.
• Advisable to have a broad rim hat and sun block on hand.
• It is advisable to always have an umbrella or awning available.
• Use tie-down straps to secure all items packed as loose items can become missiles.
• No generators permitted on trips.
• All vehicles and Off-road trailers must be in sound mechanical condition.
• Always have your spare keys with you.
• Recovery points fitted to the front and rear on your vehicle are a prerequisite.
• Your own Kinetic/recovery strap and 2 x shackles will be advisable.
• A tyre pump and tyre pressure gauge will be required to deflate/inflate tyres. Pack where accessible.
• Carry a fire extinguisher, which is easily accessible in the event of an emergency.
• Always carry your personal medical kit. Pack where accessible.
• All other recovery equipment will be supplied.
29MHz TWO WAY RADIOS
Communication between participating vehicles on any 4x4 excursion is important for many reasons. It ensures the safety of drivers, passengers and vehicles while on a 4x4 trail, where drivers can communicate with one another as regards to their location and situation, not to mention the interesting information that is shared with participants. The fun part is the many interesting stories that are shared among participants.
We suggest all 4x4 vehicles that don’t have a 29MHz two-way radio, HIRE one from us at a nominal fee of R200-00 for this excursion.
Should you be hiring a 29MHz radio, please ensure that your lighter socket is working. If you intend running more than one item from the lighter socket, ensure to have a double adapter handy as well as spare fuse for this excursion.
NB: If your vehicle is fitted with a 29MHz radio, please make sure that channels 1, 14 and 23 are open and working for this excursion.
Should you wish to make a once off investment and purchase a 29MHz radio, we have negotiated a special deal for all Cederberg 4x4 participants. For more information, contact Marina on 021 910 1363.
Use the table below to calculate your personal cost for the weekend
COST Nr. Participants Nights TOTAL
Die Ark 4x4 trail R100-00pv R100-00
Camping adults & children 1yr and older R100-00pppn 1
Camping children under 1 Free FREE
Stal room 1 & 2 (sleeps 9 or 10 people each) R120-00pppn 1
Stal room 3 (sleeps 3 people) R120-00pppn 1
Room 1 & 2 (sleeps 3 people each) R150-00pppn 1
Cederberg 4x4 facilitating, coordinating & guide fees R550-00pv R550-00
Radio hire should your vehicle not be fitted with a 29MHz two-way radio R200-00
BOOKING AND PAYMENT CONDITIONS
Should you wish to join us on this excursion, please contact Marina immediately on 021 910 1363 to obtain the booking form for this excursion.
• We can only accommodate a maximum of 12 vehicles on this overland adventure.
• All Cederberg 4x4 excursions are subject to a minimum of 8 x vehicles.
• All bookings are made on a first-come-first-serve basis.
• To secure your place, contact Marina for a Cederberg 4x4 booking form.
• Your completed and signed booking form will confirm your intent to partake in this excursion.
• A R550-00 deposit is required to confirm your intent to partake in this excursion.
• The balance is payable on or before Monday 15 October 2018.
• Your completed and signed booking form binds you to all conditions on page one and two of the booking form.
• Should you wish to cancel or withdraw after booking for this trip, you will be required to find other people to take your place before any refunds will be considered.
PLEASE NOTE: NO PETS ALLOWED
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT MARINA on 021 910 1363
.. Top of Page