.. YEAR PLANNER
.. RADIO CLUB
KROONLAND 4X4 ECO
PURE BLISS IN VILLIERSDORP
20 to 22 March 2020
THE “PEARL OF THE OVERBERG” WILL NOT DISAPPOINT ANY VISITOR
The Kroonland 4x4 trail is situated in the Overberg on the farm Kaaimansgat, approximately 10 km from Villiersdorp. The town of Villiersdorp is also known as the “Sleeping Beauty” or “the Pearl” of the Overberg. Daniel Roux and his son are the proud owners of the farm Kaaimansgat which is home to one of the oldest wine cellars in the country and also has the highest Chardonnay vineyard above sea level in South Africa, as well as numerous apple, pear and peach orchards in the valley.
We will be travelling to Villiersdorp via Franschhoek, one of the towns in the Overberg filled with loads of history. Driving over Franschhoek Pass we will pass the Theewaterskloof Dam, one of the main water reservoirs of the Western Cape, covering approximately 5200ha. The road leading from Villiersdorp to Kaaimansgat offers spectacular views over the valley and the Elandskloof Dam situated just outside of the town. Canals carry water from this dam to the farms below for irrigation of the many orchards in the valley. Spectacular views over the valley and surrounding mountains, covered with protea, pristine fynbos and many fruit bearing orchards, will be enjoyed en-route to Kaaimansgat.
The Kroonland 4x4 trail is approximately 10km from Villiersdorp and situated in the foothills of the Waterval and Baviaans Mountains. The trail is offered as a circular trail and traverses the mountains overlooking the town, the Theewaterskloof Dam and the numerous apple, peach and pear orchards in the valley below. The trail is not one of the most difficult trails, but it will ensure breath-taking views with enough challenging sections to get your attention away from the view and back to the driving techniques required to negotiate the trail safely. A good combination of challenges to keep the driver alert and on his/her toes and spectacular views to be enjoyed by all, as well as peace of mind that you will return home without damaging your vehicle in any way after a day of great outdoor fun. The many dams en-route and the river close to the lapa give you the opportunity to enjoy a swim and wash away the dust after a fun-filled day.
The campsite is situated in tranquil surroundings with a perennial water stream flowing past the camp. The campsite has grass underfoot but offers limited shade.
Should you not wish to camp this weekend but spoil the family, you have the option of using one of the six Wendy houses available for the weekend. Each Wendy house only offers two single beds. You need to supply your own bedding. Experience something different for a change. See cost below.
The centre point after the day’s activities is the roofed lapa, offering top quality braai facilities and ample seating for all.
Kaaimansgat boasts a modern conference centre, complete with bar, indoor and outdoor braai facilities and a full-size snooker table. The venue can seat approximately 20 people. Catering facilities and an assortment of menus are available on request.
All information supplied in the agenda is given in good faith by Cederberg 4x4 and compiled from the latest information available at the time. The activity times, as indicated on the agenda, are subject to change without notice and at the sole discretion of the guide.
Vehicles : Only vehicles WITH low range capabilities can be accommodated.
Grading : Trail grading is on average a 3.
Nearest Town : Villiersdorp.
Guide : Richard, Ethelia and Jake White.
PLACE : ENGEN 1-STOP on the N1 outbound, just past Joostenbergvlakte.
DATE : FRIDAY, 20 March 2020
TIME : 15h00 SHARP. PLEASE RESPECT YOUR FELLOW PARTICIPANTS AND BE ON TIME.
FRIDAY, 20 MARCH 2020
15h00 – Rendezvous at the ENGEN 1-STOP, N1.
15h15 – Briefing on activities and convoy driving.
15h30 – Depart for Kroonland 4x4 Eco via Franschhoek.
17h00 – Arrive at Kroonland 4x4 Eco Trail and set up camp for two nights.
18h00 – Communal evening braai.
SATURDAY, 21 MARCH 2020
08h00 – Breakfast at campsite
09h00 – Briefing on 4x4 driving before departing on the Kroonland 4x4 Eco Trail.
12h00 – Enjoy a light picnic en-route.
14h30 – Complete the Kroonland 4x4 Eco Trail and relax in the tranquil surroundings at the campsite.
18h00 – Communal evening braai.
SUNDAY, 22 MARCH 20202
- Enjoy breakfast at camp.
10h30 - Depart from Kroonland 4x4 eco trial making our way home via gravel roads not commonly used.
- Optional lunch for your own account to be enjoyed at Peregrine Farm Stall near Grabouw.
Ensure that your vehicle is refuelled at the rendezvous point PRIOR to the start of the briefing.
The ablution offers flush toilets and a donkey to warm water for showers at the lapa/braai area.
Everyone must be totally self-sufficient for the duration of this trip.
• Please remember that no alcohol may be consumed by either the driver or passenger(s) whilst driving at any time. Please respect your guides and your fellow participants and save the alcoholic beverages until we return to the camp each day.
• WATER - is available at the campsite.
• WATER - Always advisable to bring own drinking water on excursions.
• WOOD - Bring own WOOD for the braai. (Minimum 1x Bags of wood per vehicle.)
• ICE – Ensure you have sufficient ice
• NO electricity is available at the camp.
• The communal braai will take place in the lapa.
• Only one fire permitted for the group.
• Bring braai grid, braai stand, tongs and other cooking/eating utensils.
• Garbage bins are available at the lapa.
• The days could be warm and the afternoons cooler. Pack clothing accordingly.
• Remember to bring your sun block and hat.
• Remember to bring your cameras, video cameras, spare batteries.
• Remember your table and chairs.
• Always consider the possibility of rain. Pack clothing accordingly.
• Always advisable to wear comfortable closed shoes or boots.
• Advisable to have a broad rim hat and sun block on hand.
• It is advisable to always have an umbrella or awning available when on the trail.
• Use tie-down straps to secure all items packed, as loose items can become missiles.
• No generators permitted on trips.
• All vehicles and Off-road trailers must be in sound mechanical condition.
• Always have your spare keys with you.
• Recovery points fitted to the front and rear on your vehicle are a prerequisite.
• Your own Kinetic/recovery strap and 2 x shackles will be advisable.
• A tyre pump and tyre pressure gauge will be required to deflate/inflate tyres. Pack where accessible.
• Carry a fire extinguisher, which is easily accessible in the event of an emergency.
• Always carry your personal medical kit. Pack where accessible.
• All other recovery equipment will be supplied.
29 MHz TWO WAY RADIOS
Communication between participating vehicles on any 4x4 excursion is important for many reasons. It ensures the safety of drivers, passengers and vehicles while on a 4x4 trail, where drivers can communicate with one another as regards to their location and situation, not to mention the interesting information that is shared with participants. The fun part is the many interesting stories that are shared among participants.
We suggest all 4x4 vehicles that don’t have a 29MHz two-way radio, HIRE one from us at a nominal fee of R200-00 for this excursion.
Should you be hiring a 29MHz radio, please ensure that your lighter socket is working. If you intend running more than one item from the lighter socket, ensure to have a double adapter handy as well as spare fuse for this excursion.
NB: If your vehicle is fitted with a 29MHz radio, please make sure that channels 1, 14 and 23 are open and working for this excursion.
Should you wish to make a once off investment and purchase a 29MHz radio, we have negotiated a special deal for all Cederberg 4x4 participants. For more information, contact Marina on 021 910 1363.
Use the table below to calculate your personal cost for the weekend
COST Nr. Participants Nights TOTAL
Trail ............................................................................................. R200-00pv 200-00
Camping adults ............................................................................... R70-00pppn 2
Camping Children 13yrs and older .................................................... R70-00pppn 2
Camping Children 12yrs and younger ................................................. Free n/a Free
Wendy house 2 x Single beds ........................................................... R70-00 pppn 2
Cederberg 4x4 facilitating, coordinating & guide fees ........................... R550-00 pv 550-00
Radio hire should your vehicle not be fitted with a 29MHz two-way radio . R200-00
BOOKING AND PAYMENT CONDITIONS
Should you wish to join us on this excursion, please contact Marina immediately on 021 910 1363 to obtain the booking form for this excursion.
• We can only accommodate a maximum of 12 vehicles on this excursion.
• All Cederberg 4x4 excursions are subject to a minimum of 8 x vehicles.
• All bookings are made on a first-come-first-serve basis.
• To secure your place, contact Marina for a Cederberg 4x4 booking form.
• Your completed and signed booking form will confirm your intent to partake in this excursion.
• A R550-00 deposit is required to confirm your intent to partake in this excursion.
• The balance is payable on Monday 2 March 2020.
• Your completed and signed booking form binds you to all conditions on page one and two of the booking form.
• Should you wish to cancel or withdraw after booking for this trip, you will be required to find other people to take your place before any refunds will be considered.
PLEASE NOTE: NO PETS ALLOWED
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT MARINA on 021 910 1363
.. Top of Page