.. YEAR PLANNER
.. RADIO CLUB
RONDEGAT 4x4 - CLANWILLIAM
TO BE A GREAT WEEKEND WITH AN INTERESTING TRAIL AND A BEAUTIFUL CAMP
10 to 12 JULY 2020
A STUNNING 4 x 4 TRAIL EXPERIENCE TO SHARE WITH FAMILY AND LIKE-MINDED CEDERBERG 4X4 FRIENDS
Charl and Anna-Marie van der Merwe, 5th generation and the proud owners of this well-established active citrus farm on the banks of the Clanwilliam Dam, have a well-planned 4x4 trail that attracts many outdoor enthusiasts. This is one of the trails that can be visited throughout the year, giving you a different experience each time the trail is visited.
The trail is situated at a very unique place next to the Clanwilliam Dam where the Rondegat River and the Olifants River meet. The name Rondegat could not explain it better. While driving the 4x4 trail, with a river on either side of the trail, you will be well aware of the pristine beauty surrounding you. The trail is approximately 15km long and could take anything from three to five hours to complete, depending on the time of year the trail is visited and the size of the group. It definitely is not the most difficult trail in the Western Cape, but one should be very aware of the unexpected technical sections that could catch you off-guard while your concentration is lost in the beauty of the surroundings. No 4x4 trail is really complete without a great viewpoint and the viewpoint on the Rondegat 4x4 trail, with stunning views over the Clanwilliam Dam, Olifants River and well-known landmarks of the area, will definitely not disappoint you. You will be absorbed by the silence and beauty at the viewpoint. Upon completion of the trail a late, light picnic lunch will be enjoyed on the banks of the Olifants River at a well-shaded braai area. Having enjoyed lunch, we will head back to our camp on the farm Keurbos, known for its top-class ablution facilities and soft green grass underfoot, where everybody will have the opportunity to relax and put their feet up while taking in the serene beauty of the surroundings. With a bit of luck, you might even hear the cry of a fish eagle as it swoops down with its large clawed talons to snatch its next meal from the river.
There is extensive leopard research underway in the Cederberg area under the banner of The Cape Leopard Trust, in conjunction the Cederberg Conservancy and Cape Nature Conservation. This program was started in 2004 by Quinton Martin and to date several leopards have been fitted with transmitters, helping in the tracking and research of these magnificent animals. In 2004 Cederberg 4x4 donated in excess of R10000-00 towards the Cape Leopard Trust. More information regarding this project can be found at www.capeleopard.org.za and you might even consider adopting a dot. Although we have visited the Cederberg area on numerous occasions in the past, we have never had the privilege of spotting a leopard. Maybe, just maybe on this visit we could be lucky.
All information supplied in the agenda is given in good faith by Cederberg 4x4 and compiled from the latest information available at the time. The activity times, as indicated on the agenda, are subject to change without notice and at the sole discretion of the guide.
Vehicles : Only vehicles WITH low range capabilities can be accommodated.
Trailers : Off-Road caravans and trailers CAN be accommodated on this excursion.
Grading : Trail grading is between a 2 and 3 in difficulty.
Nearest Town : Clanwilliam.
Guide : Aubrey Penderis.
PLACE : KARDOESIE FARM STALL, TOP OF PIEKENIERSKLOOF PASS ON THE N7.
DATE : FRIDAY, 10 JULY 2020.
TIME : 15h00 SHARP. PLEASE RESPECT YOUR FELLOW PARTICIPANTS AND BE ON TIME.
Should you be running late, please contact Richard on 083 234 0581.
FRIDAY, 10 JULY 2020
15h00 - Rendezvous at Kardoesie
15h15 - Briefing on activities and convoy driving and depart for Keurbos camp in the Cederberg.
- Arrive at the Keurbos camp and set camp.
18h00 - Enjoy the communal braai.
SATURDAY 11 JULY 2020
- Enjoy leisurely breakfast.
10h15 - Depart for Rondegat 4x4 trail.
10h30 - Briefing on 4x4 driving and the trail while sharing many hints and tips.
16h30 - Complete the trail and return to the Keurbos campsite.
19h00 - Communal evening braai where the Cederberg 4x4 formalities will take place.
SUNDAY 12 JULY 2020
- Enjoy leisurely breakfast followed by breaking camp.
09h30 - Depart for Cape Town via the gravel road through the Southern Cederberg. Drive the Nieuwoudts,
Uitkyk, Gydo and Grootrivier Passes. Stop for an optional light brunch at the Cederberg Oasis, for your
- Continue to Ceres where we will say our goodbyes
FUEL STOPS EN-ROUTE
Ensure that your vehicle is refuelled at the rendezvous point PRIOR to the start of the briefing, eliminating the necessity to carry additional fuel.
The campsite offers ablution facilities consisting of 4 x Flush toilets and 4 Hot/cold showers / gas geysers.
Everyone must be totally self-sufficient for the duration of this trip.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES
This excursion is offered as a camping weekend with limited chalet accommodation available. Power and water points are situated throughout the campsite.
Should you wish to join us on this weekend but not want to camp, you can spoil yourself in one of the three chalets on offer at the camp. There are three fully equipped chalets available. The availability will work on a first book and pay basis.
• Please remember that no alcohol may be consumed by either the driver or passenger(s) whilst driving at any time. Please respect your guides and your fellow participants and save the alcoholic beverages until we return to the camp each day.
• WATER - is available at the campsite.
• WATER – Always advisable to bring your own drinking water on excursions.
• WOOD - Bring own WOOD or buy from the farmer. Minimum of 2 x bags per vehicle.
• ICE – Ensure you have sufficient ice.
• Electricity is available at the campsite. Remember electrical extension cords.
• Bring Black bags (what we take in, we take out).
• A communal braai area will be determined on arrival at the campsite.
• Only one fire permitted for the group.
• Consider bringing a portable braai to be used in the communal braai area.
• Bring braai grid, braai stand, tongs and other cooking/eating utensils.
• The days could be warm and the nights cooler. Pack clothing accordingly.
• Remember to bring your cameras, video cameras and spare batteries.
• Remember your table and chairs.
• Always consider the possibility of rain. Pack clothing accordingly.
• Always advisable to wear comfortable closed shoes or boots.
• Remember to bring your bathing costumes.
• Advisable to have a broad rim hat and sun block on hand.
• Use tie-down straps to secure all items packed, as loose items can become missiles.
• No generators permitted on trips.
• All vehicles and Off-road trailers must be in sound mechanical condition.
• Always have your spare keys with you.
• Recovery points fitted to the front and rear on your vehicle are a prerequisite.
• Your own Kinetic/recovery strap and 2 x shackles will be advisable.
• A tyre pump and tyre pressure gauge will be required to deflate/inflate tyres. Pack where accessible.
• Carry a fire extinguisher which is easily accessible in the event of an emergency.
• Always carry your personal medical kit. Pack where accessible.
• All other recovery equipment will be supplied.
29MHz TWO WAY RADIOS
Communication between participating vehicles on any 4x4 excursion is important for many reasons. It ensures the safety of drivers, passengers and vehicles while on a 4x4 trail, where drivers can communicate with one another as regards to their location and situation, not to mention the interesting information that is shared with participants. The fun part is the many interesting stories that are shared among participants.
We suggest all 4x4 vehicles that don’t have a 29MHz two-way radio, HIRE one from us at a nominal fee of R200-00 for this excursion.
Should you be hiring a 29MHz radio, please ensure that your lighter socket is working. If you intend running more than one item from the lighter socket, ensure to have a double adapter handy as well as spare fuse for this excursion.
NB: If your vehicle is fitted with a 29MHz radio, please make sure that channels 1, 14 and 23 are open and working for this excursion.
Should you wish to make a once off investment and purchase a 29MHz radio, we have negotiated a special deal for all Cederberg 4x4 participants. For more information, contact Marina on 021 910 1363.
Use the tables below to calculate your personal cost for the weekend
COST Nr. Participants Nights TOTAL
Rondegat 4x4 Trail ........................................................................... R200-00pv 200-00
Camping at Keurbos ......................................................................... R100-00pppn 2
Camping children 7-14 yrs. ................................................................. R80-00pppn 2
Camping children under 6 yrs. ............................................................. FREE n/a FREE
Melkboom Chalet – 2 x bedroom sleeps 6 people ................................... R600-00pcpn 2
Doringboom Chalet – 1 x bedroom sleeps 5 people ............................... R500-00pcpn 2
Jakaranda Chalet – 1 x bedroom sleeps 4 people .................................. R500-00pcpn 2
Cederberg 4x4 facilitating, coordinating & guide fees .............................. R550-00pv 550-00
Radio hire should your vehicle not be fitted with a 29MHz two-way radio ... R200-00pv
BOOKING AND PAYMENT CONDITIONS
• Should you wish to join us on this excursion, please contact Marina immediately on 021 910 1363 to obtain the booking form for this excursion.
• We can only accommodate a maximum of 12 vehicles on this overland adventure.
• All Cederberg 4x4 excursions are subject to a minimum of 8 x vehicles.
• All bookings are made on a first-come-first-serve basis.
• To secure your place, contact Marina for a Cederberg 4x4 booking form.
• Your completed and signed booking form will confirm your intent to partake in this excursion.
• A R550-00 deposit is required to confirm your intent to partake in this excursion.
• The balance is payable on or before Monday 29 June 2020.
• Your completed and signed booking form binds you to all conditions on page one and two of the booking form.
• Should you wish to cancel or withdraw after booking for this trip, you will be required to find other people to take your place before any refunds will be considered.
PLEASE NOTE: NO PETS ARE ALLOWED
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT MARINA on 021 910 1363